You might be under this misconception that intuitive eating is just perpetuating obesity and unhealthy lifestyles, and just causing people to eat nothing but Oreo cookies and McDonald’s. To some extent its true that many people eat foods they previously thought of as off-limits, they also eat a lot of nourishing food as well.
Intuitive eating is not a free-for-all where you eat whatever you want, in whatever quantity, regardless of how it makes you feel. It is about
- Honouring your hunger,
- Trusting your body, and
- Eating to fuel and nourish your body.
If you fear food, afraid of sugar and fat, and think carbs are coming for you, then intuitive eating is the best option for you.
I like to share some ways that intuitive eating works, and can help you be the healthiest you have ever been.
- It Relieves Stress About Food and Diets – Think about how much time you spend thinking about food, researching diets, trying to plan your life around healthy meals, and the stress that comes from fear of hunger, binge and restrict cycles, and an obsession with how you look. So much of this is alleviated when you begin eating intuitively.
- You Stop Obsessing About Food – You stop obsessing about every single thing you consume. Food just becomes food. It becomes a way to fuel your body, to nourish it with nutrients, to feel satisfied and happy. When you get to this point, you start noticing when you are actually hungry and when you are full, and are able to discover the foods you love.
- You Avoid Binge Cycles – This is a big deal for chronic dieters, people with disordered eating and eating disorders, and anyone who feels out of control around food.
- You No Longer Have Intense Cravings – Feel like you will always crave chocolate chip cookies or salty snacks forever? First of all, there is nothing wrong with these foods. Second, with intuitive eating you will learn when a craving is physical, or if it is an emotional pull from a history of restrictions.
That is the beauty of intuitive eating. If you want to learn about gentle nutrition and eating to live a healthy and energetic-life, Check out my mini course on intuitive eating in a diet-obsessed world.